LENNOX AND ADDINGTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY

ST. LUKE'S, CAMDEN TOWNSHIP, 1840'S

An Upper Canadian Village Labours to Establish their Church

A letter from Clarke's Mills, Camden -" The Parochial Association formed in this Mission has not been unmindful of the interests of the Church Society. As they labour under the disadvantage of having a debt of 50 on their church1, they regret they cannot contribute more directly to the general objects of the Society. They beg, however, to report that at their late Annual Meeting - at which a large attendance evinced the interest in the cause - the subscriptions amounted to 17; and as Samuel Clarke, Esq., the zealous projector of the Church (and to whom the debt was due), expressed his readiness to make considerable abatement on the debt if it was promptly paid, the association resolved on making an immediate exertion to accomplish that desirable object. They therefore confidently hope that, before the next annual meeting, their debt will be paid off and they will be at liberty to take part in promoting the objects of the Society2 generally."

Source: Incorporated Church Society, Diocese of Toronto, Report for Year Ending 31st March, 1848. Published by the United Church of England and Ireland, 1848.

1 This is the first St. Luke's Church on the site. It opened in March of 1844. Clark's Mills is now known as the village of Camden East.

2 The objects of the Church Society of the Diocese of Toronto (established April, 1842) included support of missionaries and clergy of Church of England within the Diocese of Toronto, support of day schools and Sunday schools, education of clergy, acquisition of books and assistance in building of churches and parsonages.

Note: Activities at this mission began in a sustained fashion in 1841. The early registers of this church survive and are lovingly cared for by the Anglican Diocese of Ontario (Anglican Church of Canada) in Kingston, Ontario. Recorded burials begin in 1841; baptisms in 1842 and marriages in 1843.

go to top

Go back to list of on-line sources.


This page created 2006. Lennox and Addington Historical Society©