(c) The Lennox and Addington Historical Society, 2007
This work is based on the Ontario, Land Registry Records. It incorporates notes made by the Larry Turner, Florence Reid, Irma Smith, Harriet Jeffreys and others. These are the Crown Grants, followed by the second owners of the properties.
Remember - one may own land without ever living on it. Even if there is a house on the land, the owner may not live there. There might be tenants!~
Amey, John - Lot 32, Lot 33
Amey, Joseph - Lot 42
Amey, Nicholas - Lot 32, Lot 33
Asselstine, John Sr. - Lot 12
Aylesworth, Othernid - Lot 17
Barclay, Robert - Lot 21
Bartley, Sarah - Lot 17
Bennett, Ebin - Lot 38
Bignall, Isaac - Lot 1
Burley, Freeman - Lot 36
Burley, John - Lot 5, Lot 36
Burley, Joseph - Lot 35,
Bush, Christopher - Lot 15
Bush, Henry - Lot 15
Caton, William - Lot 24
Clark, Benjamin - Lot 8
Clark, Daniel - Lot 34
Clark, John Collins - Lot 4
Clark, Robert - Lot 4, Lot 21
Clark, Samuel - Lot 21
Close, William - Lot 4, Lot 14
Cole, Conrad B. - Lot 8
Davy, George H. - Lot 8
Davy, John - Lot 8
DeWitt, Hiram - Lot 43
Dobbs, Alexander - Lot 43
Dobbs, M.M. - Lot 43
Dowling, Alvin - Lot 10
Empey, Christopher - Lot 17
Empey, Thomas - Lot 3
Fairfield, E.B. - Lot 19
Fairfield, W.J. - Lot 16
Fairfield, William - Lot 6
Fisk, Milton - Lot 39
Fraser, Daniel - Lot 20
Fraser, David - Lot 41
Harris, James - Lot 3
Hartman, Elizabeth - Lot 10
Hartman, Philip - Lot 10
Hawley, Jeptha - Lot 25
Hawley, Martin - Lot 5
Hawley, Sheldon - Lot 25
Hicks, Jane - Lot 34
Hicks, Lewis - Lot 33, Lot 34
Hutchins, Henry - Lot 29, Lot 30
Jackson, Thomas - Lot 16
Jacoby, Henry - Lot 38
Johnson, James - Lot 6
Johnston, William - Lot 12
Keslar, Jacob - Lot 24
Lake, Dennis - Lot 43
Lake, James - Lot 1
Lapum, Robert - Lot 30
Lewis, Elijah - Lot 2
Madden, Andrew - Lot 12
Madden, James - Lot 16
Madden, John - Lot 12
Madden, Thomas - Lot 11
Madden, William - Lot 5
Madden, William Sr. - Lot 1
Markland, Thomas - Lot 14
Martin, Elisha - Lot 43
McGinn, George - Lot 19
McLean, John - Lot 19
McPherson, John - Lot 4
Methodist Episcopal Church - Lot 11
Miller, Andrew - Lot 15
Miller, Andrew Sr. - Lot 12
Miller, Calvin - Lot 18
Miller, Calvin W. - Lot 7
Miller, Garnett - Lot 8
Miller, George - Lot 16
Miller, Peter - Lot 6
Neville, Anthony - Lot 13, Lot 14
O'Neill, Elizabeth - Lot 5
Perry, John - Lot 29, Lot 30
Perry, John Jr. - Lot 30
Perry, William - Lot 27, Lot 29
Peters, Eli - Lot 25, Lot 26
Peters, Israel - Lot 26
Peters, Jonathon - Lot 26
Peters, John - Lot 28
Peters, Joseph - Lot 27, Lot 28
Peters, Samuel - Lot 28
Peters, Samuel Jr. - Lot 26
Peters, Silas - Lot 26
Pruyn, Francis - Lot 39
Pultz, David - Lot 40
Raney, Crawford - Lot 18
Raney, Thomas - Lot 18
Robins, James, Lieutenant - Lot 11
Robison, Richard - Lot 9
Scouten, Barbara - Lot 23
Scouten, Daniel - Lot 22, 23
Shibly, John - Lot 22
Simmons, Henry, Lieutenant - Lot 9,
Simmons, Nicholas - Lot 37, Lot 38
Smith, Catherine - Lot 23
Smith, Michael - Lot 22, Lot 23
Smith, Philip - Lot 29
Smith, Simon - Lot 38
Snyder, Abram - Lot 30, Lot 31
Snyder, Conrad - Lot 31
Snyder, Daniel - Lot 32
Snyder, Jacob - Lot 31, Lot 32
Snyder, Jonas - Lot 30, Lot 31
Snyder, Mark - Lot 17
Stiles, Silas - Lot 5
Storms, Gilbert - Lot 35, Lot 36
Storms, Gilbert Jr. - Lot 36
Storms, Henry - Lot 35
Storms, Jacob - Lot 35
Stover, Jacob - Lot 40
Stuart, James - Lot 14
Switzer, Christopher - Lot 9, Lot 11
Switzer, J.G. - Lot 10
Taylor, David - Lot 14
Taylor, James, Sergeant - Lot 14
Thomas, Peter - Lot 7
VanLuven, Hannah - Lot 10
VanLuven, Henry - Lot 10
VanLuven, Leonard - Lot 7
Wallace, James A. - Lot 43
Ward, James - Lot 33, Lot 34
Ward, William - Lot 24
West, James - Lot 6
Williams, David - Lot 1, Lot 2
Williams, Jonathon - Lot 13
Williams, William Sr. - Lot 20
See lots below.
Lot 1, west half: Crown to Isaac Bignall, 100 acres, being west half, 1848. Isaac Bignall sold to David Williams
Lot 1, east half: Crown to William Madden Senior, 100 acres, being east half, 1859. Before 1882, William Madden sold the 100 acres to James Lake.
Lot 2: Crown to David Williams, all 200 acres,1802. David Williams sold the entire property to Elijah Lewis in 1805.
Lot 3: Crown to James Harris, all 20 acres, 1802. James Harris sold to Thomas Empey in1807 for £100
Lot 4, west part: Crown to Robert Clarke, 1798, 150 acres being west part. In 1817, Robert Clarke willed the property to John Collins Clarke.
Lot 4, east part: Crown to John McPherson Jr., 50 acres in 1803, being east quarter. In 1829, John McPherson sold the 50 acres to William Close for £57
Lot 5, west half: Crown to Elizabeth O'Neill in 1802. Elizabeth sold to William Madden in 1806, all 100 acres for £55.
Lot 5, east half: Crown to Silas Stiles et al, east half, 100 acres, in 1806. In 1816, Martin Hawley acquired the east portion of the east half of lot 5. In 1821, Silas Styles sold the west portion of the east part to John Burley.
Lot 6, east half: Crown to William Fairfield, 1803. He sold the east half to Peter Miller in 1807 for £37 (probably vacant land).
Lot 6, west half: Crown to James West, 1822. James West sold to James Johnson for £150
Lot 7: Crown to Peter Thomas, all 200 acres, 1805. In 1824, Peter Thomas sold 100 acres, "part" (likely the south part) to Leonard Van Luven for £75. In 1831, Peter Thomas sold 100 acres "part, being the north end of the lot" to Calvin W. Miller for £25.
In later years, the Switzerville Post Office was located on Lot 7.
Lot 8: Crown to John Davy, 1803, all 200 acres. In 1805, John Davy sold the east half (100 acres) to Garnett Miller for £50. Apparently John Davy left or gave the west half to George H. Davy. In 1829, George H. Davy sold the southwest quarter (50 acres) to Benjamin Clark for £56/5/0 [fifty-six pounds, five shillings, no pence]. In the same year, George H. Davy sold the northwest quarter (also 50 acres) to Conrad B. Cole for the same amount.
Lot 9: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons, 1802, all 200 acres. In 1810, Henry Simmons sold Richard Robison the entire parcel for £100. In 1814, Richard Robison sold Christopher Switzer the entire parcel of 200 acres for £186.
Lot 10: Crown to Philip Hartman, all 200 acres. In 1823, Philip Hartman sold the north half (100 acres) to Hannah VanLuven for £5. In 1826, he sold the south half to Elizabeth Hartman for the same amount. In 1836, Henry VanLuven and wife sold the north half to J.G. Switzer for £400, a substantial sum which suggests a dwelling and other improvements. Elizabeth Hartman's south half ended up belonging to Alvin Dowling sometime before 1844.
Lot 11, west half: Crown to Lieutenant James Robins, 100 acres in 1797. In 1805, James Robins sold the entire west half to Christopher Switzer. In 1825, Christopher Switzer sold one acre of this property to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church for £5. Switzerville Methodist Chapel.
Lot 11, east half: Crown to Thomas Madden 100 acres in 1803. In 1807, Thomas Madden sold the east half to Christopher Switzer for £100. Switzer already owned the west half, so the two halves were reunited under one owner.
Lot 12: Crown to William Johnston, 1806, all 200 acres. By 1812, John Asselstine Senior owned half of the east half of the property. He sold this 50 acres to Andrew Miller Senior in 1812.
In 1819, William Johnston sold the remaining 150 acres (west half, plus half of the east parcel) to John Madden for £37, the price for vacant land.
Lot 13: Crown to Jonathon Williams, all 200 acres. In 1807, Jonathon Williams sold the 200 acres to Anthony Neville.
Lot 14, east half: Crown to Sergeant James Taylor, 1802, the east half, being 100 acres. In 1811, Jas. Taylor sold the parcel to James Stuart. In 1836, James Stuart sold the land to William Close for £150.
Lot 14, west half: Crown to David Taylor, 1803, the west half, being 100 acres. He must have sold his land to Thomas Markland. In 1814, Thomas Markland sold the west half of lot 14 (100 acres) to Anthony Neville.
Lot 15, east half: Crown to Henry Bush in 1804, 150 acres being east half, plus a half of the west half.
Lot 15, west half: Crown to Andrew Miller, 1804, 50 acres being part of the west half.
By 1830, the entire parcel of 200 acres was in the Bush hands, as Henry Bush sold it to Christopher Bush for £200 in 1830.
Lot 16, east part: Crown to Thomas Jackson, 1811, 150 acres being the east half, plus half of the west part. Thomas Jackson sold the 150 acres to W.J. Fairfield and wife, who in turn sold it to James Madden in 1829.
Lot 16, west part: Crown to George Miller, one quarter of the lot being half of the west half, 50 acres.
Lot 17: 1801, Crown to Mark Snyder, all 200 acres. Mark Snyder sold 100 acres (the south half) to Sarah Bartley. She sold the 100 acres to Othernid [sic] Aylesworth. The Snyders must have also sold the north half, as by 1839 it was the property of Christopher Empey.
Lot 18: The Crown deed on this property is late, 1844. The Crown gave it to Crawford Rainey, noting that it was "the south part only, comprising 180 acres". In 1848, Crawford Rainey severed 20 acres of the south part and sold it to Calvin Miller. In 1865, the remaining 160 acres was the property of Thomas Rainey [or Raney].
Lot 19: Crown to George McGinn, 1801, all 200 acres. In 1821, George McGinn sold the entire property to E.B. Fairfield for only £25. In 1823, E.B. Fairfield sold the property to John McLean for £175.
Lot 20: Crown to William Williams, all 200 acres. In 1812, William Williams Senior sold the 200 acres to Daniel Fraser for £60.
Lot 21: Crown to Robert Clark, all 200 acres. In 1817, will of Robert Clark transferred the entire 200 acres to Samuel Clark. In 1832, Samuel Clark sold the 200 acres to Robert Barclay for £400
Lot 22: Crown to John Shibly, 1803, 50 acres being the southwest quarter. He appears to have kept the property. A year later (1804) Crown to Michael Smith the remaining 150 acres. Smith must have never proved his title. In 1822, the Crown re-assigned the 150 acres to Daniel Scouten. Daniel Scouten transferred the land to Jacob Scouten in 1828. The land remained in Scouten hands for many years.
Lot 23. The history of lot 23 is confusing. In 1798, the Crown awarded the east half (100 acres) to Catherine Smith. She sold this 100 acres to Daniel Mac Scouten [sic] in 1806. In 1802, the Crown awarded the west half (100 acres) to the same Michael Smith who received a grant in lot 22. Forty years later (in 1842) the Crown awarded the west half to Barbara Scouten.
Lot 24. Crown to William Ward in 1807, the entire lot of 200 acres. In 1809, William Ward and his wife sold the 200 acres to Jacob Keslar. The next transaction is missing but in 1857, the entire parcel belonged to William Caton.
Lot 25. Crown to Jeptha Hawley, all 200 acres, 1801. In 1821, Sheldon Hawley and his wife sold to their neighbour, Eli Peters 50 acres, being the northeast quarter.
Lot 26, east half: Crown to Eli Peters, 1803.
Lot 26, west half: Crown to Samuel Peters Jr, 1803
Eli Peters must have acquired the west half from Samuel as in 1845, his will left the west half to Silas Peters. He also left Israel Peters certain conditional rights to the west half. He left his Crown grant, the east half, to Jonathon Peters.
Lot 27, east half: Crown to William Perry, 1803, 100 acres. In 1813, William Perry and his wife sold the east half to Joseph Peters for £500, which suggests that there were improvements on the property.
Lot 27, west half: Crown to Peter Perry, 1803, 100 acres. In 1813, Peter Perry and his wife sold the west half to Joseph Peters.
Lot 28: Crown to Samuel Peters, 1803, 150 acres being the west half and the northeast quarter. Crown to Joseph Peters, 1803, 50 acres, being the southeast quarter. Joseph and Samuel Peters gave the 200 acres to John Peters in 1814.
Lot 29: Crown to William Parry [sic], west half and part of the east half, 150 acres, 1803. Crown to John Parry, remainder of east half, 50 acres. In 1806, William Perry and his wife sold their 150 acres to Philip Smith. In 1814, John Perry and his wife sold their 50 acres to Henry Hutchins.
Lot 30, east half: Crown to Abram Snyder in 1802. (Abram Snyder also owned the west part of lot 31.) Abram Snyder Sr. to Jonas Snyder for £100 in 1817. Jonas Snyder almost immediately sold the 100 acres to Robert Lapum.
Lot 30, west half: Crown to John Perry in 1803. John Perry sold part of the lot to Henry Hutchins in 1814 for £25. However, he kept the rest, and in 1845 by his will the west half was left to John Perry Jr., subject to life estate of female members of the family.
Lot 31, west half: Crown to Abram Snyder in 1802, 100 acres. (Abram Snyder also owned the east half of lot 30. ) Abram Snyder Sr. to Jonas Snyder in 1817. Jonas Snyder sold the parcel to Robert Lapum in 1820.
Lot 31, east half: Crown to Jacob Snyder in 1801. Jacob Snyder also received the west half of lot 32. He kept the 100 acres in lot 31 until 1853, when it became the property of Conrad Snyder.
Lot 32, west half: Crown to Jacob Snyder, 1801, 100 acres. In 1851, Jacob Snyder transferred the land to Daniel Snyder.
Lot 32, east half: Crown to Nicholas Amy in 1805, 100 acres. (Nicholas Amey was also granted the west half of lot 33.) Nicholas Amey and wife gave the land to John Amey in 1811.
Lot 33, west half: Crown to Nicholas Amey, 1805. In 1811, Nicholas Amey and his wife transferred the land to John Amey.
Lot 33, east half: Crown to Lewis Hicks, 1802. (Lewis Hicks was also granted lot 34.) In 1811, Lewis Hicks and his wife sold to James Ward.
Lot 34: Crown to Lewis Hicks, 1802, the entire 200 acres. In 1811, Lewis Hicks and wife sold the west half to James Ward along with the east half of lot 33. However, they kept the east half of lot 34. In 1832, Jane Hix [sic] sold the 100 acres in the east half to Daniel Clark for £300, indicating that there was likely a dwelling on the property by then.
Lot 35: Crown to Gilbert Storms in 1802, 200 acres. In 1811, Henry Storms severed a parcel of the land and sold it to Joseph Burley. In 1827, Gilbert Storms transferred to Jacob Storms the remaining 150 acres, described as three-quarters of the lot, to Jacob Storms for £5, likely a transaction within the family.
Lot 36: The Crown divided this lot three ways. 1802, Crown to Gilbert Storms, one quarter of the lot being 50 acres in the west half. Crown to Gilbert Storms Junior 1802, one quarter of the lot, also being 50 acres in the west half. Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons 1802, the east half, 100 acres. Henry Simmons sold his east half to Joseph Burley in 1805. Henry Storms sold part of the west parcel to Joseph Burley in 1810. In 1830, Gilbert Storms Senior sold the remaining land in the west half to Freeman Burley.
Lot 37: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons in 1803, all 200 acres. In 1805, Henry Simmons sold the west half to Joseph Burley, who acquired the east half of lot 36 from Simmons at the same time. In 1813, Henry and Nicholas Simmons sold off part of the west half.
Lot 38: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons 1803, all 200 acres. In 1813, Henry Simmons sold Henry Jacoby 100 acres "in the rear of the parcel". In 1815, Henry Simmons and his wife severed one acre for Ebin Bennett. In 1823, Nicholas Simmons sold a quarter of the lot (50 acres) to Simon Smith.
The core of the present village of Wilton is located on Lot 38 and Lot 39.
Lot 39: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons 1803, all 200 acres. 1816, Henry Simmons sold the entire 200 acres to Francis Pruyn. In 1820, Francis Pruyn sold the north quarter to Milton Fisk and severed 17 acres which he sold back to Henry Simmons.
Lot 40: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons 1803, all 200 acres. In 1805, Henry Simmons sold the north quarter (50 acres) to David Pultz, and in the same year, the remaining 150 acres to Jacob Stover. The Pultz family held the fifty acres for many years but the Stovers later sold.
Lot 41: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons 1803, all 200 acres. In 1822, Simmons sold the entire 200 acre parcel to David Fraser for £150.
Lot 42: Crown to Lieutenant Henry Simmons 1803, all 200 acres. In 1805, Simmons sold the land to Joseph Amey for £70.
Lot 43: This is the gore lot. In December, 1817, the Crown gave this land to Alexander Dobbs, who received a total of 500 acres including property in the seventh concession. In 1840, the Estate of M.M. Dobbs sold 94 acres to Elisha Martin for £75. In 1859, Elisha Martin sold his property to Hiram De Witt. It was then described as 103 acres. In the same year, De Witt resold the 103 acres to Dennis Lake. In 1869, Dennis Lake sold the land and other property to James A. Wallace for a down payment of $400 and a take-back mortgage of $1600, indicating considerable improvements.
Version January 9, 2007.
go to top
Go back to list of on-line sources.
This page created 2007. Lennox and Addington Historical Society©